Coming February 7, 2022
The Training Provider Registry will improve highway safety by ensuring that entry-level drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) complete training as required by the new Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations.
Sign up to receive email updates about the Training Provider Registry, reminders about the ELDT compliance date, and more.
What are the Entry-Level Driver Training regulations?
The ELDT regulations set the minimum Federal requirements for training that entry-level drivers must complete before being permitted to take certain commercial driver’s license (CDL) skills or knowledge tests on or after February 7, 2022.
Who is considered an entry-level driver? Individuals applying to:
- Obtain a Class A CDL or Class B CDL for the first time;
- Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL;
- Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.
- The ELDT requirements apply to individuals who obtain a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) on or after February 7, 2022.
- The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement prior to February 7, 2022 are not required to complete training for the respective CDL or endorsement.
The ELDT regulations do not apply to individuals excepted from the CDL requirements under 49 CFR part 383.
- Individuals applying under § 383.3(c), (d), or (h);
- Individuals applying for a restricted CDL under § 383.3(e) through (g);
- Military personnel who meet all requirements and conditions of § 383.77; or
- Individuals applying for a removal of a restriction in accordance with § 383.135(b)(7).
Interested in ELDT?
Select a scenario below to determine if you are required to complete entry-level driver training.
I hold a CDL that was issued before February 7, 2022. What if I apply for an upgrade to a higher class of CDL on or after February 7, 2022?
You must complete the required entry-level driver training for the class of CDL to which you are upgrading before you will be permitted to take the CDL skills test.
My CLP was issued before February 7, 2022.
You are not required to complete entry-level driver training, as long as you obtain a CDL before the CLP, or renewed CLP, expires.
I hold a CDL that was issued before February 7, 2022. What if I apply for an S, P, or H endorsement, for the first time, on or after February 7, 2022?
You must complete the required entry-level driver training for the endorsement(s) for which you are applying before you will be permitted to take the S or P skills test or H knowledge test.
What if I obtain my CLP after February 7, 2022?
You must complete the required entry-level driver training before you will be permitted to take the CDL skills test, the S or P skills test, or the H knowledge test.
I was issued a CDL before February 7, 2022.
You are not required to complete entry-level driver training to obtain a CDL, even if the previously-issued CDL has since lapsed.
I was issued an S, P, or H endorsement before February 7, 2022.
You are not required to complete entry-level driver training for the previously-issued endorsement, even if it has since lapsed.
I was issued a CLP before February 7, 2022, but the CLP expired before I applied for my CDL.
You must complete the required entry-level driver training before you will be permitted to take the CDL skills test.
Download the materials below to learn more about the ELDT requirements and the Training Provider Registry.
- ELDT Requirements for CDL Applicants
- Training Provider Registry Factsheet
- Entry-Level Driver Training Overview PowerPoint
Connecting to the Registry?
Training Providers and State Driver Licensing Agencies that intend to establish a direct IT connection to the Training Provider Registry should visit the Developer Toolkit page.
Read the ELDT Regulations
- Entry-Level Driver Training Requirements On and After February 7, 2022: 49 CFR Part 380 Subpart F
- Registry of Entry-Level Driver Training Providers: 49 CFR Part 380 Subpart G
- Driver Application and Certification Procedures: 49 CFR 383.71
- State Procedures: 49 CFR 383.73
- States’ Entry-Level Driver Certification: 49 CFR 384.230
Frequently Asked Questions
Browse or search the frequently asked questions for more information on the Training Provider Registry or the ELDT regulations.
If you can’t find the answer to your question on this website, send a message to the TPR Team and we will respond as soon as we are able.